Join Atrium Health Navicent in Month of Events to Raise Breast Cancer Awareness
Physicians encourage screening for early detection and treatment
Atrium Health Navicent invites the community to participate in a month of Breast Cancer Awareness events to help raise awareness and encourage screening for early detection and treatment.
Breast cancer is the second most common cancer among American women. Women have a 1 in 8 chance of developing breast cancer in their lifetimes. The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates that in 2021, about 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women, leading to about 43,600 deaths.
For many women, mammograms are the best way to find breast cancer early, when it is easier to treat and before it is big enough to feel or cause symptoms. Regular mammograms can lower the risk of dying from breast cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
“Unfortunately, breast cancer will affect 1 out of 8 women. Due to better screening and improved treatment options, a majority of these women will lead a cancer-free life after treatment. There is overwhelming evidence that the earlier the cancer is detected, the higher the chance of survival. This stresses the importance of screening mammography,” said Dr. Paul Dale, director of the Atrium Health Peyton Anderson Cancer Center and a surgical oncologist at Atrium Health Navicent. “Even during these uncertain times of COVID-19, all of our screening facilities are open, so don’t put off that screening mammography! Early detection is the key to a successful cure.”
If you’ve delayed mammograms or visits to your doctor due to the COVID-19 pandemic, now is the time to get back on track with regular screenings. The ACS recommends that women who are aged 50 to 74 get a mammogram every two years. Women who are 40 to 49 years old should talk to their doctor about when to start and how often to get a mammogram.
To promote breast cancer awareness and education, Atrium Health Navicent has prepared a month-long celebration during October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The following is a schedule of Atrium Health Navicent’s events and festivities:
Wednesday, Oct. 6
- Mammogram Marathon at Atrium Health Navicent locations from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. No appointment is necessary and walk-ins are welcome. All locations offer 3D mammography technology. Screening grants are available for uninsured and underinsured patients. Call 478-633-7020 to check grant eligibility. Locations include:
- Atrium Health Navicent Breast Care Center, 800 First Street, Suite 310, Macon
- Atrium Health Navicent Imaging and Laboratory, 1650 Hardeman Avenue, Macon
- Atrium Health Navicent Imaging Northwest, 5925 Zebulon Road, Macon
- Atrium Health Navicent Baldwin, 821 North Cobb Street, Milledgeville
- Atrium Health Navicent Peach, 1960 Hwy 247 Connector, Byron
- Atrium Health Navicent Imaging Monroe, 120 North Lee Street, Suite B, Forsyth
Thursdays, Oct. 7, 21 and 28
- Atrium Health Navicent Teammate Mammography Marathon. Atrium Health Navicent employees can schedule their yearly mammogram from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Atrium Health Navicent Breast Care Center, 800 First Street, Suite 310, Macon. Call 478-633-8130 to schedule.
Wednesday, Oct. 13
- Pink and Proud Day eco-friendly lantern release, 11 a.m. Atrium Health Peyton Anderson Cancer Center, 800 First Street, Macon.
Friday, Oct. 22
- Survivor Care-a-Van Parade to honor breast cancer survivors. Breast cancer survivors will be honored with a socially distanced parade around Atrium Health Navicent The Medical Center from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Dr. Paul Dale, director of the Atrium Health Peyton Anderson Cancer Center and a surgical oncologist at Atrium Health Navicent, will serve as grand marshal.
Atrium Health Navicent provides the latest technology for the early detection of breast cancer, including state-of-the-art 3D mammography and new SCOUT technology, as well as 3D biopsies, same-day biopsies, breast ultrasounds, 3D mammography, wireless breast localization biopsies, molecular breast imaging, and breast MRI.
To schedule a mammography appointment, call Atrium Health Navicent’s centralized scheduling department at 478-633-7020.
About Atrium Health Navicent
Atrium Health Navicent is the leading provider of healthcare in central and south Georgia and is committed to its mission of elevating health and well-being through compassionate care. Atrium Health Navicent provides high-quality, personalized care in 53 specialties at more than 50 facilities throughout the region. As part of the largest, integrated, nonprofit health system in the Southeast, it is also able to tap into some of the nation’s leading medical experts and specialists with Atrium Health, allowing it to provide the best care close to home – including advanced innovations in virtual medicine and care. Throughout its 125-year history in the community, Atrium Health Navicent has remained dedicated to enhancing health and wellness for individuals throughout the region through nationally recognized quality care, community health initiatives and collaborative partnerships. It is also one of the leading teaching hospitals in the region, helping to ensure viability for rural health care for the next generation. For more information, please visit www.NavicentHealth.org.